Wednesday 14 May 2014

£200,000 to clean Umaniec's graffiti.



Why are people surprised that a man called Umaniec sprayed paint on a work of art worth nine million pounds in order to propagate "Yellowism" ?
What is surprising, is that a) two fat maroon lines down a black canvas are worth nine million pounds. b) the Tate gallery spent £200,000 to rub eight words off it. c) it took them 18 months to do it.
I listened to one of the ladies who restored the painting, she had to keep leaving the room because of the deep impact of looking at the meaningful layers of oils, pigments, resins, glues and egg. No wonder it took eighteen months.
But I got to thinking about how God knitted me together, layer upon layer and how He looks at me with wonder even when other people think I'm a bit disappointing. I thought about how hurt He was when I got spoiled by the graffiti of sin and selfishness. He valued me a lot higher than 9 million pounds, and it cost immeasurably more than £200,000 to restore me. Now, because of the sacrifice of his own Son, I am totally clean and fully restored. In the words of Tate Director Nicholas Serota, "The project has been far more succesful than anyone dared hope at the outset."


No comments:

Post a Comment