Wednesday 31 August 2022

Off the beaten track.


 Strolling briskly along at Bradgate Park  this week, I managed to miss my footing at the edge of the very broad tarmacadam path which gave way to uneven grass and stones. I pitched forward at high speed, propelled by the weight of a haversack containing a whole cooked chicken, a carton of orange juice, a tub of coleslaw, half a pound of butter, two frozen ice packs, a jar of caramelized onion relish, knives, forks, spoons, plates, a large flask of boiling water, a packet of chocolate brownies, some shortbread biscuits, four bananas, two jars of coffee and two French sticks. As I skidded along the ground in an ungainly manner, I quite enjoyed the gasps from the crowd of people I had tried to pass as I rushed to take the food to the picnic spot. A very kind couple helped me to my feet and sympathised with me as I limped to join my family, relieved that the only thing I had broken was a french stick. 


Two things occurred to me about this clumsy escapade. Firstly how important it is to keep to the path instead of trying a crafty short cut, and secondly how much the baggage we carry can make us unbalanced during what should be a minor mishap. You may be familiar with the Bible verse that says, "Casting all your care upon him (Jesus) because he cares for you" In life we often carry 'baggage' which seems to shove us in the back and turn a moment of difficulty into a full blown crisis. There's really no need to feel unbalanced when we hand our heaviness of heart and mind over to Jesus and let him carry it. You might be perfectly able to cope most of the time, but when your foot slips it's easier to stay upright if you aren't already overburdened. I love  this verse in Psalm 94 "I cried out, "I'm slipping!". but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment