Tuesday 22 April 2014

tumble dryer



Today I had another go at fixing my tumble dryer. I was convinced it was the door catch which I had already taken to pieces and put back together to no avail. I had looked on Ebay for another dryer but even the spares or repair ones were £30. I dismantled the top and took the door catch out again. The brown burn marks didn't look promising but I sprayed them with WD40 and hoped they weren't serious. After quite a bit of squeezing my arm down between the drum and the side casing and having to retrieve my bosch electric screwdriver from said area, I fiddled with the switch a bit more, untwisting some wires that looked a bit suspect. I put the whole thing back together, plugged it in, closed the door and switched it on. Nothing. I opened the door and the drum began to spin. At least I had power to the machine which was a move in the right direction. The machine only working when the door was open wasn't ideal, but I determined to persevere. I wondered if I had screwed the catch back the wrong way round but there was only one way it would fit, so I separated the wires a bit more in case they'd got crossed, and squirted more WD40 on the spring loaded plastic bit that seemed to be the crucial element in making a circuit when moved by the door catch. It was then I noticed that I'd forgotten to switch the power off. Fortunately I am still here to tell the tale. I screwed the catch into place again and hey presto, the machine worked with the door shut, and with it open. Throwing clothes into a revolving drum is quite fun, so I decided I had fixed it to my satisfaction for the moment. I might learn some other deep and meaningful lessons from my endeavours if the clothes catch fire, but I was reminded that God's power is always available to those of us who are happy to be switched on to it. We occasionally get crossed wires or get burnt out or get in a bit of a spin or forget to keep our mouths shut, or get overheated but if we go back to the manufacturer, remind him that we're under the guarantee of the sacrifice of His son, and ask him to fix us, we can work effectively again. It's not a brilliant analogy because God will always renew broken parts and his power is only dangerous when it's used against the enemy of our souls, but those are my musings on the tumble dryer for what they're worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment