Monday 12 May 2014

Linseed putty

Today I glazed a window, well a pane of glass in a door actually. I had to buy glass that doesn't match because they don't make spotty glass anymore. I had to have toughened glass which annoys me because if I want to put dangerous thin glass in my door to match the other dangerous thin glass that's been in my door for thirty years, I don't see why I can't. I also had to wait two weeks for the glass to arrive after I'd ordered it. I used brown linseed putty. I discovered it would be quite good to rub on your skin if you wanted a fake tan. At £2.99 a tub it's probably competitively priced. The instructions on the pot assume that you know how to use putty. 'Apply it to the rebate,' is not awfully clear. Fortunately for me I have glazed a few windows so I know what the rebate is. I didn't have a putty knife so I used a kitchen pallette knife, consequently my putty is slightly more generous than normal. I didn't have a mitre on my palette knife either, so my corners are interesting. I had bought some chestnut brown paint to complete the job, but to my horror I discovered that linseed putty cannot be painted for a month!  This glazing lark takes longer than I anticipated. However, in the words of Magnus Magnusson (what were his parents thinking?) 'I've started so I'll finish'. It reminds me of someone else famous who started so He'll finish,  Paul writes about him in the Bible in his letter to the people living in Greece,  "I always pray with joy for you, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." I'm so glad that whatever problems God encounters with me, he is going to finish the job. I might be slightly odd, slightly tough, and slightly more generous round the edges than your average person, but God has started working on me and like Paul in the Bible I am confident he will finish. I'm also confident that the finished product will be a splendid job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment