Tuesday 3 June 2014

Swing your knees please

On Monday the school photographer was at my school. I dutifully went to have my picture taken to grace the information board. In the room was a long PE bench, the one with the two large lumps at each end  - you remember. I was invited to sit on the very long low bench. I did so. Then the photographer asked me to 'swing my knees over.'  Puzzled as to why I needed to balance precariously on the low thin bench looking like a posh lady at a picnic, I swung both my feet up onto the bench and pointed my knees at the camera.
The photographer looked a little embarrassed. "No, I mean swing your knees over."  I apologised and certain I now knew what he meant, I swung my knees to the right and sat astride the bench like an excellent equestrian. The photographer looked flustered. Putting his own knees tightly together, he turned them slightly to the left to illustrate what he wanted me to do. I obliged, feeling ridiculous and a tad irritated. "Twist your knees slightly to the left" is not the same as "swing your knees over" - how was I supposed to know what he meant? You may not know what I look like, but if you ever come to the school where I teach and look at the information board, I am the one whose face is three shades redder than anyone else's. My knees do not feature anywhere on the photograph.
In Hebrews chapter 12 in the Bible, in the old fashioned version it says this, "Therefore, lift up the hands which hang down and the feeble knees." 'Lift up your feeble knees,' came to mind when I realised I had not swung my knees as the photographer required. God does not want you to be uncomfortable about the state of your knees. He does not want you to be embarrassed that they are weak, feeble and out of position. The writer goes on to say, "Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong." God's instructions are always clear and always helpful, he wants us strong and secure, he wants our faces shining with the glory of His goodness not the shame of our stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment