Monday 20 September 2021

Ivy, wasps and cables.




My son climbed on the roof to cut down some ivy which has gone completely manic up the side of my house. Things were going reasonably well until he said "Is there some kind of cable up here that matters?"
As it was the main cable from the telegraph pole to the house, the answer to that was "Yes."  We all know that there's no use crying over disconnected phones, disconnected internet access and disconnected TV reception, so the boy continued chopping the ivy. Suddenly there was a crescendo of buzzing and a small, dark,  menacing cloud rose from the ivy clumps. Watching somebody running across a roof wielding a pair of loppers and trying not to scream is actually quite amusing. Trying to book a BT engineer isn't. I think I clocked 3 hours 20 minutes of phone calls before I managed to secure the services of an engineer in two weeks time. I figure the reason they keep you pressing numbers 1,2,3,4,5 and hash for such an inordinately long time is so that the visit of the engineer seems quite imminent in comparison.
My kind neighbours have let me access their connection until such time as an engineer deigns to visit. I hope he likes wasps.
We have come to rely on immediate and reliable communication. As a Christian I've discovered utterly unfailing reception from God. No ivy, loppers, roof tiles, wasps or engineers can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus. Paul found a similar truth and wrote it down in his letter to the Roman church. "For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment