Tuesday 3 February 2015

Biting off more than you can chew.

Getting out of my car in the health club car park yesterday, I noticed that on the back seat was a chocolate orange that I had not given away to its intended recipient. As I was about to burn off 37 calories by swimming 40 lengths of the pool, I decided I would tap and unwrap the confection and eat a couple of segments. It was a very cold day. I tapped the orange on the centre of the steering wheel and unwrapped it. It transpires that a steering wheel centre is not a 'tapworthy' surface. The chocolate orange remained stubbornly together. I shoved my cold fingers between two slices and prized them apart. The orange was now in one large block of seventeen and one small block of three segments. I put the  three joined segments in my mouth. They were surprisingly sharp, surprisingly large and surprisingly cold.
What made this worse, was that I had been to the dentist only an hour before and had a filling. I don't have a needle if I can help it because when I do, I turn into a quivering wreck and  cry uncontrollably for half an hour. Instead, I grip the arms of the dentist chair, brace myself against the pain of the drill boring down into an unanaethsetised nerve and try not to scream. Attempting to maneuver three solid chocolate segments without touching one side of my mouth illustrated for me the saying, "biting off more than you can chew." I headed for the door of the health club trying not to slaver down my chin and coat or disgorge the contents of my mouth onto the path. The automatic doors let me in and I wished they hadn't. I needed to stand for quite some time ruminating whilst the girl on the desk watched and waited. I suppose many of us have at some time metaphorically bitten off more than we can chew. May I give you two pieces of advice. Firstly, keep it metaphorical,especially if you've just a had a filling, and secondly, take smaller bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment