Thursday 26 October 2017

Phonics



In order to help some children learn to read, I wrote several books using the sounds they often find difficult. One of my stories is called "The Night Flight." It's about an owl who is scared to fly at night. It addresses the weird "igh" sound in the glorious English language.
Reading with a five year old this week, we ascertained that Dwight did not want to do a night flight on his own. 'He asked his Dad to go with him. His Dad did not think this was.........'
I pointed to the next word containing the trigraph in question and waited for my educational book to help the little boy. 'His Dad did not think this was........' I paused and tapped the next word, willing the child to succeed. At last he screwed up everything he had learned and completed the sentence. "His Dad did not think this was acceptable."

No comments:

Post a Comment