Monday 18 December 2017

Gift wrapped




Three years ago I asked if someone would be kind enough to invent spray on wrapping paper. Up to now I have not heard from anyone on the subject which is somewhat disappointing as it means I will have to wrap my presents in the traditional paper wrapping manner. I have discovered that cheap wrapping paper is a false economy. I discovered that years ago, but I continued to hope that paper is getting stronger and cheap wrapping paper this year would not tear every time a corner of anything touched it. My hopes are dashed.
I understand why people use gift bags but forgive me when I say - it does seem to be cheating.
I also bought some stick on labels this year. They are bright red and you can't write on them. Everyone in my family will know that the gifts are from someone and to someone but the rest will remain a mystery unless I can find my overhead projector pens. Sticky tape dispensers are a wonderful idea but the centre spindle of mine has snapped off. I have replaced it with a short pencil, sharpened at both ends but it seems to lack the robustness that I require when tearing off the tape in a frantic hurry before my package bursts open. I regularly slice my fingers on the serations of the tape dispenser. If anyone wanted to find out who had sent the present which is bearing an anonymous label there would be a great deal of DNA evidence on the parcel - hair, skin, blood, and possibly occasionally saliva.
God sent us a gift the first Christmas. He wrapped his son in flesh and sent him to earth as the Saviour of the world. Later there was a great deal of DNA evidence to show how much he loved us. He hung on a cross with his hair pulled out, his skin lacerated and bleeding, soldiers' spittle in his face. It was the gift of selfless love and eternal life. It's got your name on it in indelible mercy. It would be a shame not to unwrap that kind of love this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment