Sunday 16 February 2020

Recliner

Last week I sat relaxing in a beautiful leather reclining chair. I had leaned forward and managed to pull the lever to shoot out the leg rest. Some time later I discovered that the chairs are not designed for short legged people. Attempting to push down with my calves and return the seat to an upright position, I tipped the whole chair forward to resemble a leather slide. Grabbing the arm rests and scrambling backwards to avoid breaking the leg rest off altogether, I pushed my stubby legs down again to try and retract the extension. I was almost at the point where the leg rest clicks and locks back in place, when cramp took hold of my leg muscles. I lunged forward off the chair to try and relieve the pain. The 'not quite locked footrest' saw its chance, flicked open and added a hearty clout in the calves to complement my discomfort. 
 Thankfully my fall was broken by the corner of the coffee table.                                                                    
I recalled a Bible verse from Psalm 139. "You even know the small details of my life, like when I take a seat and when I stand up again."  I rather think God was amused by my antics on the recliner.          
The Bible also says that earth is God's footstool, so I know he understands how much heartache an uncooperative footrest can cause.




1 comment: