Sunday 13 December 2020

Christmas isn't a wash-out

 

This year I made a Christmas decoration for my front garden, using an old piece of laminated chipboard. I carefully painted Mary in her traditional blue outfit (Wilko's Ocean Spray) and Jesus wrapped in swaddling bands using brilliant white gloss (Wickes) I looked for a threequarters used tin of something in green for Joseph but as I don't like the colour green I hadn't got one amongst the other 23 almost empty paint tins I've saved for when I needed to touch-up. Resourceful as ever, I mixed Mary's blue with some yellow poster paint and hey-presto Joseph had a lovely green cloak. He had a lovely green coat until it rained through the night. In the morning Joseph had a nice brown laminate wood cloak. Mary and Jesus remained strong.

I've not much enjoyed this year since March and when I was told  it would be against the law to enjoy our normal 10 household Christmas, I was both sad and angry. So much of what matters to me, seems to have been washed away by fear this year.

But when I looked at my garden picture with the hopeful "JOY" that I'd jig-sawed out of the off-cut of my laminate board, I realised afresh that Christmas isn't a wash out this year, The child who came to show us the love and compassion of God, is still light in the darkness, hope in the despair, comfort in the loneliness, calm in the frustration. Jesus was distanced from God for 33 years so we could be close to him always. I pray that the peace of God will be in our hearts this weird Christmas.   


No comments:

Post a Comment