Sunday 23 March 2014

Elbows

On Thursday I saw a man with the most animated elbow joints it has ever been my privilege to witness. I think his lower arm swung backwards as well as forwards, suggesting a very versatile ginglymus. It reminded me of making paper puppets with bifficated clips (paper fasteners - but I love the word bifficated) where the joints swivel round and round. His arms had a Tigger like quality and I was enjoying them very much until his mobile phone rang and stopped my gladness. I was very pleased when he later walked back past the window of a cafe where I was sitting drinking a really horrible cappuccino coffee. Alas his phone rang again and his elbows assumed a phone holding bend instead of their delightful bouncing spring. 
When little children begin to draw arms on people they usually draw them sticking out of each side of a large head.This develops until they draw them sticking out of their sides half way down their bodies. They then learn to add shoulders which come out of the neck in a straight line and turn a perfect 45 degrees south. 
Trying to convince children that your arm reaches almost to your knee is no easy task. Even when they hold their own arm down by their side and look in the mirror, they still draw it coming to a halt just below their waist.
The 'bouncy arm man' reminded me of a Bible verse in Isaiah chapter 59 -                                                     " Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened that it cannot save." 
I am so happy that God has reached down to rescue me.
Nobody is beyond the reach of God's love and mercy, nobody is so weighed down that God cannot lift them up. I do hope you will experience the wonderfully strong, long, versatile arm of God in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment