Thursday 27 March 2014

Woodlouse

I just picked a woodlouse up from my living room carpet. I'm not sure how or when he got into my lounge but he is not very welcome. I realise that I assume all woodlice are male which can't be true so maybe she is not very welcome. I picked the woodlouse up on my way to answer the phone which turned out to be a mistake because I didn't want to put the woodlouse down and let it roam free in the kitchen any more than I wanted it roaming free in my lounge. As I held the phone in my left hand I could see and feel the woodlouse struggling to get free from my right finger and thumb. I held the louse aloft until the call finished and then put it outside. There is something precious about life, something that for most of us, makes it difficult to destroy it, even if it's only a woodlouse. If I hadn't held the woodlouse in my hand and felt it's little legs struggling to get free, I might have found it easier to just crush the life out of it
Today I read an article in which a woman had proudly written about the merits of the 'morning after pill.' Before she could feel her newly conceived child's little legs struggling to get free, she found it easier to just crush the life out of it. Maybe in today's society life isn't all that precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment