Monday 18 August 2014

Reading glasses


I need reading glasses to read. I have gradually increased the strength of the lens and am currently sporting a 2.5 magnification. Recently I have found that I have not always removed my spectacles after using them for small print, or even quite decent size print to be honest. The result of this oversight is somewhat disconcerting. When you look at a person's face whilst wearing glasses of 2.5 magnification, you can see every spot, whisker and wrinkle and believe me most people have loads! I wore the optical aids to look in the mirror secreted under the sun visor of my car today and I discovered that the bearded lady is not such a freak after all. Please don't wear your reading glasses to check that out should you ever see me in real life, it is not something I'm proud of. It got me thinking about an old fashioned phrase people in church sometimes used. It is found in the Bible in Psalms and in Mary's prayer in Luke: "Magnify the Lord." It occurred to me that I could look at God with a pair of glasses with the highest possible magnification and I wouldn't see a single imperfection. Strangely enough, God has the same reaction when he looks at me through the lens of the cross. Jesus has obliterated all my impurities. The Bible tells me that God cares about me so deeply that he knows the very hairs on my head, I expect that includes my chin and you know what, God still really loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment