Monday 19 February 2018

Hearing Impairment.





My husband is having problems with his ears. This, as most married women will know, is different from having problems with his hearing. The second one is often not a result of the first. Currently it is my husband's compacted ear wax that means he can't hear me. I suggested he might like to put the subtitles on the TV rather than turning the volume up to a decibel level which was likely to illicit a call from environmental health, following complaints from people in the street, or maybe even far away across the village. He reluctantly agreed that subtitles might be helpful. I found the relevant button on the remote and pressed it.
The subtitle flashed up in its little square brackets - [Indistinct conversation]
I accidentally discovered another useful facility on the TV remote. Assuming the AD button was something to do with HD which we don't have, I had happily ignored it. It wasn't until I heard someone say "Large iron gates swing closed. Mrs Patmore enters the kitchen looking anxious," that I figured out I had unlocked another secret disability aid.
It brought to mind a Bible verse from Corinthians "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love him." God doesn't use subtitles or audio description. The verse goes on to say that we have received God's spirit so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. I was just wondering how many people are unaware of the facility that allows us to see and hear God really clearly. Since I've discovered it, I've found it really helpful in understanding and enjoying what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment