Friday 12 April 2019

Nearly

After climbing the Long Mynd and perusing the waterfall this week, we returned to the cafe for some refreshment and on the table discovered the following historical write up.
"Rising above the stream, the rocky path snakes uphill around interlocking spurs before opening out afer 500 metres At the foot of the Lightspout Waterfall.  It was here that the Reverend Carr, in a blizzard in 1865, became lost and nearly plunged to his death."  Harsh as it may seem, I felt quite disappointed that Reverend Carr didn't actually plunge to his death.
There is something quite disappointing about "nearly".
I played pitch and putt yesterday, I nearly made the fourth in two shots, the ball hit the hole and bounced out. I lost the overall game 9 shots behind my brother. Nearly wasn't good enough.
In the Bible in Acts 26, Paul is explaining the resurrection of Jesus Christ to King Agrippa. When Paul finishes his account,  the king says, "You've nearly persuaded me to be a Christian."
At Easter lots of people will consider the story of a man who actually died and actually came alive  again. I hope lots of people actually believe it. I'm sure it will change their lives for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment