Sunday 12 May 2019

Getting Attached

I have a particularly large cardigan with a fairly open weave knit, there is scarcely a day when I am wearing it, that it doesn't get caught on a door handle and I find myself still in the room I have just tried to leave.
I suppose like many of you, I have walked around for quite some time with a piece of sellotape stuck to my backside or some blu tack or the like, attached to my shoe.
Pulling a laptop off the table by the cord which is wrapped round my leg is not uncommon and I may not be alone in unraveling copious amounts of toilet paper before I realise I have inadvertently joined myself to it as I rearranged my clothing and left the cubicle.
Last week, when my 93 year old father disembarked from a car that had given him a lift from church, he shut his coat in the door. He was dragged down the road which knocked him unconscious and fractured his cheek bone. He'll be more careful about his coat flapping about in future. 

Things we're attached to tend to either follow us or lead us. Some people are very attached to their mobile phones, others to their dogs. I've seen both sorts walk into trees and lamp posts. I think being attached to something that will lead you in a positive direction is a good idea. 
In Psalm 112, David writes to say that he does not fear bad news because his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.
If you're going to get attached to something may I suggest that you try God, he wont hold you back, drag you along the ground, or make you look silly. You can trust Him with your life and, like the man who wrote the Psalms, and this man who got towed along the ground, you can face each day unafraid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment