Wednesday 17 June 2020

Being allowed out.


After weeks of being locked in my house due the dangers of a global virus, I was invited to attend a socially distanced meeting. I felt pretty excited to see real people even if it was across a 2 metre gap.
I forgot how long it took to shower and wash my hair so when I noticed that my only ironed dress had a tear in it, I figured I didn't have time to change it or sew it up.  In a flash of inspiration I decided I could put a bit of  'iron on' hemming tape behind the rip and from a distance of over six feet, nobody would be any the wiser. I quickly heated the iron and successfully stuck my dress to the ironing board cover. Ripping the two fabrics apart and deciding that employing a needle and thread in the toilets at the meeting would be my next best option, I headed for the door. That's when I remembered that I needed to take a packed lunch. I hurriedly yanked open the fridge door, whereupon, an opened tin of chopped tomatoes threw itself from the top shelf of the fridge to the quarry tiled floor, splashing all over my legs, feet and freshly un-mended dress. After a speedy dishcloth wipe I jumped into the car and set off to the meeting. That's when I discovered that I had been at home for so long, I no longer remembered the way to anywhere. Staggered entry was all the rage at that time, so I when I arrived ten minutes late, I just pretended I was showing concern for the well-being of others.
One of the key reasons Jesus came, is to proclaim freedom to the captives. It's not always easy to get used to being free when you've been locked up for a while but Jesus accompanies you on your journey and assures you that liberty is good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment